Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why Keep A Japanese Language (B)Log?

I'm going to practice what I preach when I learn Japanese. I am always encouraging my EFL learners to keep a binder of notes divided into sections for topics like speaking, listening, reading, writing, and American culture. In addition, I strongly believe in keeping a vocabulary notebook and making flashcards. I have done some of these tactics myself as I've learned other languages, but this time I will do as such more formally. a.k.a., Be a bit more organized! I tend to start too many cute little notebooks (Yes, usually Japanese or French notebooks) and then run around the flat annoyed that I can find my grammar notebook but not my vocabulary notebook.

To reinforce learning, I also encourage my students to teach someone, whether a family member or a friend or even their pet dog (because doggies are always so patient and kind and won't laugh at any mistakes) what they are currently learning. As we say:

The best way to learn a language is to teach it.

(Yes, I know we also say the best way to learn a language is in bed, but focus, people, focus!)

Furthermore, my other axiom when it comes to language learning is:

The best way to learn a language is to keep a copious, detailed journal accounting your triumphs and tragedies.

Therefore, last week when I decided that I would learn Japanese once and for all, I decided that I would start this blog as a place where I would chronicle my adventures in learning Japanese. The goal for creating Green Tea Red Panda is to (hopefully!) result in two main beneficial outcomes: 1) to have a place for me to muse about the Japanese language and reinforce my learning, and 2) to be a place where you, dear reader, can either reinforce your own Japanese learning or maybe inspire you to give the language a whirl.

Yesterday, I was reading a free Japanese lesson at TextFugu called Creating a Japanese Learning Log. The site's author, Koichi, is an online Japanese instructor and I had to smile to myself when I read this lesson. You really should read this page yourself, but suffice it to say that Koichi recommends that one uses the journal to reinforce one's learning of Japanese. It was refreshing to read this recommendation from not just a fellow instructor, but also a Japanese instructor to boot. Koichi even suggested that one keeps the log as a blog! How cool is this?

To read that a fellow language teacher believes in language (b)logs is wonderful because it lets me know that I am not 1) an insane crazy lady who has been driven over the edge from reading the TESOL Journal. (No offense of course. It's just that quantitative research is so...you know...number-y and not very 'activity for student-y'! I'm a qualitative person However, I digress. Erm...the TESOL Journal is lovely. Hail! Praise the TESOL Journal!)

Ahem. Where was I? Oh yes, I have also had the startling realization that I am neither a 'Meanie Pants' Instructor (Yup. In caps. 'cause they are their own breed!). I am always repeating ad nauseum that my students should be a bit anal (well I don't use that word specifically, but this isn't my classroom so I can let it fly) and constantly journal about all their experiences in learning English, which might I add again, should also be very organized copies and kept in one place. (You can't complain. I already said it was anal. So there!)

So often when we learn foreign languages we hit these brick walls when we determine that we are as thick as planks and wonder if our Mothers dropped us repeatedly on our heads before the age of two. We read and re-read grammar points, recite them diligently to ourselves in the mirror, write them out repeatedly, and then on the day of the test or out on the street in a 'real live action language setting':

Poof!

The aforementioned grammar point goes out the window and we flag out tests or we sound like idiots.

Helloooo, brain fart!

And to our horror we realize that we just mangled (insert your favorite foreign language here).

So now know you know why I'm keeping a Japanese language learning (b)log.

A big 'thank you' to Koichi of TextFugu for letting me know that I haven't lost my mind as an EFL Instructor or as a language learner.

I am so excited to learn Japanese and I can't wait to see how it scrambles my brain (more than it already is)!

No comments:

Post a Comment